Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Homemade Sandwich Bread

Sean and I recently picked up The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. We started putting Post-it flags on the recipes we want to try, but we soon realized that we would flag the entire cookbook! Everything sounds delicious, and she writes the recipes in a very scientific way which is perfect for my engineer-baker-husband!

Our first recipe from The Bread Bible was the "Basic Hearth Bread." This is a simple recipe, and was perfect for my first try at sandwich bread. (Normally, our sourdough is free-form, so doesn't make the best sandwiches to pack in a lunchbox. This recipe can be made either free-form or in a loaf pan; I used a pan.)

Homemade Sandwich Bread

Homemade Sandwich Bread

It turned out beautifully, and was very delicious! My loaf pan does make a smaller loaf than you would get at the store (9"x4.5") so I had to adjust my lunchtime expectations accordingly. It's also a hearty bread though, with a dense crumb, so it'll fill you more than a standard store loaf will.

We're looking forward to trying more recipes from this book. Stay tuned as our baking continues!

If you bake, what are some of your favorite recipes? Favorite places to find new recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment