Friday, July 10, 2015

Design Finds of the Week #7

I couldn't believe that it had been over a year since I last compiled some of the great design I come across into one of these posts! I like doing these weekly posts of good design, whether it's related to the house, the garden, or theater, so I'm going to work on getting back into the habit!

For the next few weeks, I'll be sharing different inspirational designs that I came across during my trip to the Prague Quadrennial. They will be fairly diverse, as were all of the presenters at PQ, but they are all worth sharing!

The first website/project I want to share is ecoscenography.com

Tanja Beer is a designer and PhD student focusing on sustainability in theatrical design. I talked with her a bit the day after I heard her speak, and her excitement for her field is infectious! Sustainability and conservation are huge passions of mine, and while I was studying architecture it was one of the main conversation topics of the industry, but the American theatre industry really just pays lip-service to the green movement. While Tanja told me that she doesn't do much mainstream theatre anymore, I do think that a lot of the things she is bringing attention to can be translated back into a mainstream environment, albeit perhaps with a bit more push-back from producers, theatre managers, and even directors. But I do believe that if designers make sustainability a priority, we can make a difference!

So check out her blog and projects, especially "This is Not Rubbish," the piece she spoke on at the Quadrennial.



No comments:

Post a Comment