Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Jumping on the Green Smoothie Bandwagon

Have you tried green smoothies?

I hadn't yet until this morning. We have a lot of kiwis right now, and I decided to toss some into the blender. I also threw in an old-ish pear, a few spinach leaves (I've read about them in green smoothies and wanted to try, but only tossed in a couple in case the texture was off putting) and a dash of cranberry juice. Not following any particular recipe, just tossing in what I had and thought might taste good together.

And guess what? It was actually pretty good! The spinach texture was certainly different from the Jamba Juice style smoothies I was used to, but not at all off putting. And I couldn't even taste it over the kiwi and pear.

I unfortunately didn't take a picture, but as I experiment a bit more with fruit smoothies maybe I'll share some more recipe combinations.

If you want to replicate what I threw together, I used:
-2 kiwis
-1 pear
-about 4 large spinach leaves
-cranberry juice (I didn't measure, but I would guess it was roughly 1/4 cup)

Just blend it together, and enjoy!

If you have any favorite smoothie combinations, I would love to hear them. I'm always looking for healthy and easy snacks.

2 comments:

  1. spinach, especially baby spinach, tends to be overpowered by just about anything. even for a classic strawberry-banana smoothie it isn't very noticeable, and if you add in anything strong like mango there's no chance. I usually add ice in my smoothies, so the spinach doesn't change the texture much either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't made a smoothie since this post, since I haven't had the right fruits on hand. But summer fruits are always my favorite to do in smoothies anyway. I should start again though, since it's a good way to get lots of fruit and it's a good energy boost in the middle of an afternoon of thesis.

      Delete