Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Dried Persimmons

Dehydrating fruit is a great, easy way to preserve a bounty without canning. As I mentioned in my previous post about persimmons, they are not acidic enough to be safely canned in a boiling water bath. Because we had already filled our own freezer and my parents' with jars of persimmon butter as well as chopped persimmons, drying was necessary!

The method is so simple it hardly qualifies as a true "recipe." All I did was slice them  into fairly even chips, about 1/4" thick. I placed them on the dehydrator racks, making sure not to overlap. I then ran the dehydrator for about 8 hours. My dehydrator only has an on/off switch, no temperature control, so I can't say what temp to set a more complex machine to.

Living Design: Dried Persimmons

In step-by-step directions:
1. Slice persimmons into 1/4" thick rounds
2. Place on dehydrator racks, with no overlap
3. Run dehydrator for 8 hours, or until done
4. Store in sealed container

Dried persimmons make a great snack! Dried fruit also lasts fairly long in a sealed bag in the pantry, so I'm sure we will be enjoying these dried persimmons for much of the winter.

Do you dehydrate fruit? What are some of your favorites? I'm new to dehydrating, but since it's so simple I'd love to do more of it and I always love new ideas!

****

2 comments:

  1. I love persimmons, but have never tried them dried! I'm featuring this tonight on the Waste Not Want Not party, so thanks for sharing :)

    I mostly dry fruit leather, but my dehydrator is old, noisy, and expends a lot of heat so I don't use it as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature!
      My mom used to do fruit leathers when I was a kid. We lucked out with this dehydrator -- it was a thrift store find and although my dad claims it sounds like an engine, it really isn't very loud. It does expend a bit of heat, but since it's been chilly here it hasn't bothered me! The only tricky part is sharing it with my mom, so we have to plan our usage. I can't get my own until I have the room to store it though!

      Delete