Friday, July 23, 2021

The Bread Bible Week 1: Brinna’s Pugliese

This week I’m baking Brinna’s Pugliese from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Bread Bible. This is a dough that requires a biga started at least 6 hours before, so it’s not a dough I often feel I have time for. But as luck would have it, I was flipping through the book yesterday afternoon, which gave me plenty of time!

I started my biga around 4pm on Sunday, which meant getting it into the refrigerator at 10pm. It was then ready to start step 2 on Monday morning!

One of the things I love about rustic hearth breads is that, while they may take a lot of time to rise or ferment, each individual step is very short in hands-on time. That was true for this bread as well. It was easy to fit each step into my day around a toddler, which is always important!

We ate much of the loaf as egg salad sandwiches and all enjoyed it! The addition of rye flour gives the dough a little extra depth over an all white loaf. Unfortunately, while I might have an appreciation for the crusty ends of hearth breads, the small child does not, so this might not be a bread we put into our regular rotation. But it was a fun one to try!




No comments:

Post a Comment